Birth injury by definition is any trauma or injury sustained during the delivery of a child, resulting from the improper care provided by either your physician or the hospital. Birth injuries like Cerebral palsy or Erb palsy can have devastating effects, presenting not only physical, emotional hardship, but also financial challenges for the entire family.
Consider what the lifetime cost will be to care for your precious infant diagnosed with a birth injury. An injury brought about due to the negligence of your medical provider. Understandably, you want to know what happened, what went wrong and more importantly, could it have been prevented. While nothing can help you endure this type of heartache and grief, at the Law Office of Igor Tarasov Esq., we can help you get the help and support you and your family members will require.
Birth injuries can range from minor bruising to the more serious severe brain trauma. While many of these injuries can be treated or heal on its own within a timely period, often times many of the injuries result in life-long disabilities, stillbirth or worse, premature death of your infant.
Estimates indicate that birth injuries occur in around 5 to 7 out of every 1,000 births annually.
Some of the most common birth injuries that occur during childbirth as a result of medical negligence or malpractice include:
- Lack of oxygen to the brain
- Skull fractures, bleeding or swelling of the brain, facial nerve damage due to the improper usage of forceps or vacuum extraction used to assist vaginal deliveries.
- Birth defects, like cleft lip or palate, blindness, spina bifida, deformed limbs and even heart defects; these injuries are usually associated with chemical exposure during or even prior to pregnancy.
Causes & Symptoms of Birth Injuries
Unlike a birth defect, birth injuries are usually caused from complications during the birthing process. Whether it was a prolonged labor to possible hospital or medical staff errors, sadly, many babies are born with birth injuries when they should be completely healthy and normal. Symptoms associated with birth injuries include:
Many birth injuries are caused by medical errors which increases the severity or permanence of the damages. Medical errors that can support your malpractice lawsuit include:
- Failure to anticipate birth complications – usually involves a larger baby, or cases involving maternal health complications
- Failure to respond aptly to bleeding complication
- Failure to respond to umbilical cord entanglement
- Failure to respond to fetal distress – irregularities in the fetal heartbeat
- Failure to order cesarean section appropriately- (c-section) when medically necessary
- Improper use of forceps or a vacuum extractor
The “Birth Injury” team at the Law Office of Igor Tarasov Esq., is comprised of experienced attorneys and medical professionals. We are committed to assisting parents understand their infant’s condition while guiding them through the process of seeking the proper care and support their family will require.
Personalized & Experienced Legal Representation in NYC
At the Law Office of Igor Tarasov Esq. we help you to understand your judicial rights and the statute of limitations on your particular time-sensitive case.
We explore all options available to assist you in recouping monetary damages for medical bills, all loss of wages, rehabilitation cost and home care cost.
Remember, accountability helps reduce overall negligence and incidents.
Schedule a free case evaluation today with an experienced New York Personal Injury Attorney at the Law Office of Igor Tarasov Esq. at 718.368.0690.
Remember there are no fees unless we are successful.